- Our Father knows what’s best for us,
So why should we complain …
We always want the sunshine,
But He knows there must be rain.
- We love the sound of laughter
And the merriment of cheer;
But our hearts would lose their tenderness
If we never shed a tear.
- Our Father tests us often
With suffering and with sorrow;
He tests us, not to punish us,
But to help us meet “tomorrow.”
- For growing trees are strengthened
When they withstand the storm;
And the sharp cut of the chisel
Gives the marble grace and form.
- God never hurts us needlessly,
And He never wastes our pain;
For every loss He sends to us
Is followed by rich gain.
- And when we count the blessings
That God has so freely sent;
We will find no cause for murmuring
And no time to lament.
- For Our Father loves His children,
And to Him all things are plain;
So He never sends us “pleasure”
When the “soul’s deep need is pain.”
- So whenever we are troubled,
And when everything goes wrong,
It is just God working in us
To make “our spirits strong.”