This is a easy recipe for making Bar Shortbreads.
1 pound butter, softened (2 cups/454 g)
1 cup white sugar (200 g)
4 cups regular white flour (520 g)
non-stick spray or butter for the baking pans
green coloured sugar – decoration
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC/Gas mark 3). Grease baking pan with no-stick spray, or butter.
2. Unwrap butter and place in mixing bowl. Add sugar and beat until very well mixed, and quite a bit lighter in colour, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the flour and mix well. The dough should feel quite firm between your fingers, and will look quite a bit like mashed potatoes. Dump the dough out into greased baking pan. Starting from the middle, smooth out with your fingers to evenly cover the pan. Use a fork to poke holes in dough over entire surface.
4. Bake at 325ºF (160ºC/Gas mark 3) for 40 minutes. Cookies are done when they’re a light golden brown, and the edges are a darker brown.
5. Remove pan from oven, and let cool about 5 minutes. Using a knife, cut into bars while still warm. Sprinkle with coloured sugar.
Remove cookies from pan once cooled to room temperature. Store in air-tight containers or freeze in zipper bags for up to 6 months.