3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Grease a 9-inch pan and line the bottom of the pan with wax paper.
3. Cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Stir in the vanilla essence, then fold in the flour.
4. Transfer half of the batter to another bowl. Add the melted chocolate to one of the bowls and stir to blend.
5. Drop the batters alternately by large spoonfuls into the prepared pan, alternating between the plain and chocolate. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, make a single swirl through the batters to marbleize.
6. Bake for about 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.