Kugan funeral procession: Two arrested

Police detained two men who tried to get through a barricade at the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) despite orders to disperse, as a large crowd began to gather Wednesday to take part in the funeral procession of A. Kugan.

The two were wearing t-shirts depicting the outlawed Hindu Rights Action Force movement, or Hindraf.

The arrests, made at the UMCC entrance about 12.15pm, came after Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Wan Abdul Bari Wan Abdul Khalid had made an announcement asking the crowd disperse.

He gave the crowd up till a count to 10 to disperse, failing which he said arrests would be made. He then ordered his men to arrests the two.

They have been taken to the Brickfields police headquarters for questioning, ACP Wan Abdul Bari said.

Members of the Field Reserve Unit (FRU) and the Light Strike Force were deployed early Wednesday to Jalan Universiti to prepare for the funeral procession.

The suspected car thief had died while being questioned by police on Jan 20.

The units have been placed there in anticipation of a large crowd for the procession that will begin at UMMC and proceed to Puchong, Petaling Jaya police chief Asst Comm Arjunaidi Mohamed said earlier.

Members of the public should not join in any illegal gathering and police will take stern action, he added.

Kugan’s family arrived at the scene a little after 12 noon.

His uncle, Ravi Roy, 42, had earlier told the media said that the family was not blaming the police force for Kugan’s death, but was merely seeking the truth.

“We are not blaming the entire police force, all we want is for the people who are responsible to be brought to justice,” he said at the Bandar Kinrara home here of Kugan’s parents on Monday.

Kugan’s body is currently at the UMMC mortuary, where a second post-mortem was conducted last Sunday.

The 22-year-old collapsed and died inside the Taipan police station in Subang Jaya on Tuesday last week. The initial post-mortem revealed that he had died due to fluid in his lungs, but Kugan’s family entered the Serdang Hospital mortuary that same day and took photographs of his body, which showed severe bruising.

They demanded a second post-mortem, although that report is not out yet.

While initially saying no foul play was involved, police have now reclassified the case as murder for the purpose of investigation, at the urging of the Attorney-General.

Earlier, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said police would not allow any carrying of banners or posters during Kugan’s funeral.

He said the funeral should not be politicised or turned into a racial event.

He warned groups who were not involved to stay out of the funeral procession.

“The body should be brought straight from the mortuary to the crematorium in Puchong,” he said.

Ismail said that if Kugan’s body was taken elsewhere, it would be considered an illegal gathering and the police would take action.

He said that the police would be on stand-by to ensure that the funeral proceeded smoothly.

 

stories taken from : thestar.com.my
Kugan to be cremated today
MIC to defend deputy ministers over mortuary incident
Second report not completed yet, says deputy IGP
Ghapur calls for independent probe

Full Coverage

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s