You can use full-fat cream cheese and sour cream if you prefer. Also, this recipe makes servings big enough for tall parfait glasses. To make more moderate servings, use 6 wine glasses.
- 4 cups frozen unsweetened cherries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 10 chocolate wafer cookies, finely crumbled
1. Combine the cherries, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, use an electric mixer or food processor to combine the lemon zest, vanilla, cream cheese and sour cream. With the machine running, slowing mix in the confectioners’ sugar.
3. To assemble the parfaits: Fill each of 4 parfait glasses with the layers, starting with a spoonful of the cream- cheese mixture, then the chocolate wafer crumbs, followed by a layer of the cherries. Continue the pattern, using the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or make up to a day in advance.
Makes 4 servings.