A yummy chocolate brownie cake recipe for those cake lovers.
200gm/7 oz good dark chocolate
200gm/7 oz Caster sugar or soft brown sugar
175gm/6 oz Butter – Lurpak slightly salted or unsalted butter
60gm/2.5 oz Plain flour
3 Eggs size 1 (large) or use 4 medium eggs
Optional – 30-50gm/1 or 2 oz chopped hazelnuts/brazil nuts
- Chop the nuts and sift the flour.
- Break 200gm bar of dark chocolate into pieces, and then place in a large Pyrex bowl.
- To that bowl of chocolate, add the 6 ounces of butter and 7 ounces of caster sugar.
- Place the Pyrex bowl in the microwave oven and start to melt these 3 ingredients altogether for about 1 minute 40 seconds in a 900w microwave.
- Do not overheat chocolate.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave oven.
- Stir the 3 ingredients until the chocolate lumps melt completely into the butter and sugar mix. If a microwave is unavailable, melt the chocolate, sugar and butter in a Pyrex bowl, set on a saucepan of hot water.
- Leave this basic chocolate mix to cool for a few minutes.
- Separate the yolks from the 3 eggs into a small cup or dish.
- Beat the 3 whites until the whites stiffen to form good whipped peaks.
- Use a fork to mix the beaten yolks into the cooled chocolate mix. If you use the electric beaters at this stage the chocolate mix clings like glue to them and becomes more difficult to remove.
- Gently fold in the flour and nuts using a figure of eight folding movement.
- Add a couple of spoons of the whisked whites to slow down the mixture. Stir until the mix flows.
- Gently fold the remaining whipped whites into the chocolate mix until whites are not visible.
- Pour into the tin.
- Bake chocolate Brownie cake in the centre of the main oven for about 35 to 40 minutes until the skewer is clean when removed from the cake centre.
- The top will most likely have a lightly cracked appearance that may fall back as the cake cools.
- Leave to cool in your tin until cold.
- Cut in small pieces and serve.
Bake the cake for 37 minutes on a middle shelf at C 180 deg.