A yummy chocolate brownie cake recipe for those cake lovers.
200gm/7 oz good dark chocolate
200gm/7 oz Caster sugar or soft brown sugar
175gm/6 oz Butter – Lurpak slightly salted or unsalted butter
60gm/2.5 oz Plain flour
3 Eggs size 1 (large) or use 4 medium eggs
Optional – 30-50gm/1 or 2 oz chopped hazelnuts/brazil nuts
- Chop the nuts and sift the flour.
- Break 200gm bar of dark chocolate into pieces, and then place in a large Pyrex bowl.
- To that bowl of chocolate, add the 6 ounces of butter and 7 ounces of caster sugar.
- Place the Pyrex bowl in the microwave oven and start to melt these 3 ingredients altogether for about 1 minute 40 seconds in a 900w microwave.
- Do not overheat chocolate.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave oven.
- Stir the 3 ingredients until the chocolate lumps melt completely into the butter and sugar mix. If a microwave is unavailable, melt the chocolate, sugar and butter in a Pyrex bowl, set on a saucepan of hot water.
- Leave this basic chocolate mix to cool for a few minutes.
- Separate the yolks from the 3 eggs into a small cup or dish.
- Beat the 3 whites until the whites stiffen to form good whipped peaks.
- Use a fork to mix the beaten yolks into the cooled chocolate mix. If you use the electric beaters at this stage the chocolate mix clings like glue to them and becomes more difficult to remove.
- Gently fold in the flour and nuts using a figure of eight folding movement.
- Add a couple of spoons of the whisked whites to slow down the mixture. Stir until the mix flows.
- Gently fold the remaining whipped whites into the chocolate mix until whites are not visible.
- Pour into the tin.
- Bake chocolate Brownie cake in the centre of the main oven for about 35 to 40 minutes until the skewer is clean when removed from the cake centre.
- The top will most likely have a lightly cracked appearance that may fall back as the cake cools.
- Leave to cool in your tin until cold.
- Cut in small pieces and serve.
Bake the cake for 37 minutes on a middle shelf at C 180 deg.
A simple, easy and tasty way to cook Salmon/Talapia/Cod Fish
Marinate fish with the following:
Oyster Sauce (1 to 2 tbsp)
Sesame Oil (1 tsp)
Ground Black Pepper (generously)
Sesame oil gives a nutty flavour. Let fish sit with seasoning for a while for better taste.
Grill or bake the fish. If desired pan fry as it is or coat it with corn flour before you do so.
There you have, your main fish dish for the day!
1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup bean sprouts
1 (6 ounce) package crispy chow mein noodles
In a small bowl combine the orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, salt, garlic and brown sugar. Mix well.
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. When oil begins to bubble, add chicken. Saute until cooked through (no longer pink inside), about 7 to 10 minutes.
Add orange sauce mixture to chicken and cook until sauce begins to bubble. Add flour, a little bit at a time, until sauce has thickened to your liking. Add bean sprouts and cook for 1 minute; serve hot over chow mein noodles.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pound bok choy
1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
sliced young ginger
1/2 cup chopped, roasted cashews
1 Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Add onions, then garlic, then bok choy. Sprinkle with sesame oil and salt. Add the sliced ginger. Cook bok choy for approximately 3 minutes.
2 Lower heat to low. Stir and let cook for a minute or two longer, until the bok choy is just cooked.
3 Gently mix in cashews.
Serve it hot with steamed rice.
You need :
- 2 peeled oranges
- 1 peeled small lemon
- 2 peeled bananas
- 200ml skimmed milk
- 100ml yoghurt
Juice the oranges, lemon. Pour juices into the blender and blend the bananas, milk and yoghurt. Pour into glasses and serve
You can use full-fat cream cheese and sour cream if you prefer. Also, this recipe makes servings big enough for tall parfait glasses. To make more moderate servings, use 6 wine glasses.
- 4 cups frozen unsweetened cherries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 10 chocolate wafer cookies, finely crumbled
1. Combine the cherries, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, use an electric mixer or food processor to combine the lemon zest, vanilla, cream cheese and sour cream. With the machine running, slowing mix in the confectioners’ sugar.
3. To assemble the parfaits: Fill each of 4 parfait glasses with the layers, starting with a spoonful of the cream- cheese mixture, then the chocolate wafer crumbs, followed by a layer of the cherries. Continue the pattern, using the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or make up to a day in advance.
Makes 4 servings.
A ROMANTIC VALENTINE DINNER FOR TWO
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 170 g each)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup champagne (or other sparkling white wine)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken breasts in this mixture, one at a time, and arrange them on a plate.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook quickly until lightly browned on both sides, turning once — 1 to 2 minutes per side. (You may have to do this in two batches.) The chicken should be browned but not cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Add the butter to the skillet, then add in the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and it has evaporated. Pour in the champagne, stir around to dissolve any crusty bits from bottom of the pan, then stir in the whipping cream. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Return the chicken breasts to the skillet, nestling them into the mushroom sauce, lower the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened — 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread or steamed rice to soak up the sauce.